UPDATED: FG announces dates of NECO, NABTEB exams
The Federal Government on Wednesday says this year’s Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations organised by the National Examination Council will start October 5 and end November 18.This was contained in a statement signed by the Director, Press and Public Relations, Federal Ministry of Education, Ben Goong.In the statement titled, ‘FG Rolls Out Schedule For National Examination’, the ministry also said the National Business and Technical Examination Board examinations would commence September 21 through October 15.The statement read, “The Federal Government has released a comprehensive schedule for various National Examinations for exit classes, spanning from 17th August to 18th November 2020.“Minister of State for Education, Hon Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, who made the announcement today in Abuja after a series of meetings with Chief Executives of examination bodies in the country, said, the West African Examination Council (WAEC-SSCE) will start on the 17th of August 2020 while the National Business and Technical Examination Board, (NABTEB) examinations will start on the 21st September and end 15th of October 2020.“Other details of the schedule indicate that the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (SSCE) for SSS3 conducted by NECO will start on the 5th of October and end on the 18th of November, 2020.“The Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) for JSS 3 also conducted by NECO will start on the 24th of August and end on the 7th of September, 2020.
“Furthermore, the National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE) which is a one-day examination for intending applicants into Unity Colleges (JSS1) will run in between the Senior Secondary School Examinations i.e. on Saturday, 17th October 2020.
“Registration for NECO (SSCE) which is ongoing will end on the 10th of September 2020 and there shall be no extension for registration whatsoever.More in Home
“The statement further indicated that the National Board for Arabic and Islamic Studies (NBAIS) will commence on Wednesday, 23rd September and end by 17th October, 2020.
“The minister, therefore, directed all examination bodies to release details of their examination timetables in the next seven days.
“Present at the meeting which was chaired by the Honourable Minister of State for Education, were the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Arc Sonny Echono; Registrar, Joint Admissions Matriculations Board (JAMB), Prof Is-haq Oloyede; Registrar, National Examinations Council (NECO), Prof Godswill Obioma; Registrar, National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB), Ifeoma Isiugo-Abanihe; Registrar, National Board for Arabic and Islamic Studies (NBAIS), Dr Raji; as well as acting Registrar of West African Examination Council, Dr J.O. Oke.
“For the one-day National Common Entrance Examination conducted by NECO, it is compulsory for parents and pupils to wear face masks on the exam date, while also carrying along with them, alcohol-based sanitisers.
The OJCA had earlier reported that FG asked all graduating pupils in the country to resume August 4.
Schools in the country have been shut since March due to the coronavirus pandemic which has killed more than 800 patients so far.