What is hydrogen bonding?
1. Two immiscible liquids with different boiling points can be separated by _____
A. The use of separating funnel
2. A mixture of CaCl2 and CaCO3 in water can be separated by ______
3. What is responsible for metallic bonding?
A. sharing of electrons between the metal atoms
B. attraction between the atomic nuclei and the cloud of electrons
C. Transfer of electrons from one atom to another
D. attraction between positive and negative ions.
4. 25cm3 of 1.5M solution of NaCl are added to 50cm3 of 3M NaCl. The molar concentration of the resulting solution is ________
A. 2.5M B. 3M C. 2.25M D. 4.5M
5. A solution of salt formed from HCl and NH3 solutions is _____
A. Acidic B. Basic C. complex D. Neutral
6. Which of the following elements will burn in excess oxygen to form a product that is neutral to litmus? A. carbon B. Hydrogen C. Sulphur D. Sodium
7. A current was passed for 10mins and 0.2mole of Cu was deposited. How many grammes of Ag will it deposit?
(Cu = 64, Ag = 108)
A. 43.2g B. 21.6g C. 10.8g D. 5.4g
8. Pollution of underground water by metal ions is very likely in a soil that has high ________
A. Acidity B. Alkalinity C. Chloride content D. Nitrate content
9. Producer gas is a gas with low caloric value because it contains more ____
A. CO2 than O2 B. N2 than CO C. CO2 than N2 D. N2 than CO2
10. Silver chloride turns grey when exposed to sunlight because _____
A. The silver ion is reduced to silver
B. The silver ion is oxidized to silver
C. Silver is a transition metal
D. The silver chloride forms complexes in the sun.
11. Which of these compounds exhibits resonance?
A. Benzene B. Ethanol C. Propene D. Butyne
15. Hydrolysis of CH3COOCH2CH3 in dilute HCl produces ______
A. CH3COOH + CH3CH3
B. CH3CH2OH + CH3COCl
C. CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH
D. CH3COOH + CH3CH3
16. Calculate the volume of CO2 measured at s.t.p produced on heating 250g of potassium hydrogen trioxocarbonate (IV) strongly.
(K = 39, H = 1, C = 12, O = 16)
A. 28dm3 B. 2.8dm3 C.5.6dm3 D. 11.2dm3
17. The boiling points of water, ethanol, methylbenzene and butan-2-ol are 373.0K, 351.3K, 383.6K and 372.5K respectively. Which liquid has the highest vapour pressure at 323.0K?
A. Water B. Methylbenzene C. Ethanol D. Butan-2-ol
18. The conclusion from Rutherford’s alpha scattering experiment is that ______
A. Atoms are mostly empty space with a small nucleus
B. Emissions from radioactive substances consist of three main components
C. There is a nuclear pull on orbital electrons
D. Electrons are deflected by both magnetic and electric fields.
19. Elements P, Q and R have atomic numbers 9, 16 and 20 respectively. Which of them would gain electron(s) during ionic bonding A. Q and R
B. P and R
C. P and Q
D. P, Q and R.
20. Which of the following has the lowest PH?
A. 5cm3 of M/10 HCl
B. 10cm3 of M/10 HCl
C. 20cm3 of M/8 HCl
D. 15cm3 of M/2 HCl
21. Which of the following is an acid salt?
A. (NH4)2CO3 B. CHCOONa C. KHSO4 D. MgSO4.7H2O
22. Cr2O2-7 + 14H+ + 6I → 2Cr3+ + 3I2 + 7H2O. The change in the oxidation number of oxygen in the equation above is _______
A. 0 B. 1 C. 2 D. 7
23. During electrolysis of CuSO4 solution using platinum electrodes, which of the following occurs ______
A. Acidity increases at the cathode
B. Oxygen is liberated at the cathode
C. PH decreases at the cathode
D. PH of solution increases.
24. Which of the following ions is a pollutant in drinking water even in trace quantities?
A. Ca2+ B. Pb2+ C. Mg2+ D. Fe2+
25. The solubility of a salt of molar mass 100g at 20oC is 0.34mol/dm3. If 3.4g of that salt dissolved completely 250cm3 of water at that temperature, the resulting solution is ________
A. A suspension
26. Catalyst is important in in chemical industry in that ______
A. it affects the purity of the products
B. it affects the quantity of the products
C. it increases the time for reaching equilibrium
D. Bond breaking is slowed down.
27. An alkanioc acid has a molecular mass of 88. Name the acid.
(C = 12, O =16, H = 1)
A. Propanioc acid
B. Botanioc acid
C. Pentanioc acid
D. But-2-ionic acid
28. Ethyne undergoes the following reactions EXCEPT
A. Polymerization B. Addition C. Combustion D. Etherification
Keep following, more questions and answers will be added soon.